Child Safety Seats:


Grayslake Fire Protection District residents receive free child safety seat inspections. Our certified instructors will assist you installing your seat properly. Click here for details



Leaf Burning & Bonfires


Leaf burning is not allowed in the Village of Grayslake. Leaf burning is allowed in Wildwood, Gages Lake, and unincorporated Lake County. Open burning of any kind is only allowed when the following criteria are met:

  • An open burn shall not be hazardous or objectionable due to smoke or odor emissions.

  • Any open burn must be no less than 50 feet from any structure and provisions shall be made to prevent the fire from spreading from within 50 feet of any structure.

  • Open burnings shall contain only landscape materials that have been produced on the property and not contain any material being burned for waste disposal purposes.

  • Any open burn must be attended until the fire is extinguished.

  • At least 1 portable fire extinguisher with a minimum of a 4-A rating , 2 portable extinguishers with a 2-A rating each or other approved on site fire extinguishing material such as dirt, sand, water barrel, garden hose, or water truck, shall be available for immediate utilization.


Recreational bonfires are allowed only in areas where open burning is allowed. These recreational bonfires must have prior authorization from the Grayslake Fire Department Fire Prevention Bureau or the on duty shift commander. These fires cannot exceed 5 ft. by 5ft. by 5ft. or burn for more than 3 hours (unless the fire department determines it is warranted). Bonfires must incorporate only seasoned and dry firewood with no waste and/or fuel added.

Other open burning fires that must have prior authorization include…

  • Forestry, range or wildlife management

  • Prevention/control of diseases./pests

  • Heat for outdoor workers

Open burns requiring prior authorization from the fire department and written permission of the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) include…

  • Disposal of hazardous or toxic material as long as EPA determines there is no practical alternative method of disposal.

  • Instruction or research in controlling fires, emergencies or other extraordinary circumstances as determined to be necessary by the EPA.

  • Disposal of landscape waste (except residential or agricultural waste).

  • Recognized agricultural or horticultural management purposes to maintain production standards.

Any questions contact the fire prevention bureau

M-F from 8-5