Liquid petroleum (LP) gas or propane, used in gas grills, is highly
flammable. Each year about 30 people are injured as a result of gas grill
fires and explosions. Many of these fires and explosions occur when
consumers first use a grill that has been left idle for a period of time or
just after refilling and reattaching the grill's gas container. To reduce
the risk of fire or explosion, consumers should routinely perform the
following safety checks:
Check the tubes that lead into the burner for any blockage from
insects, spiders, or food grease. Use a pipe cleaner or wire to clear
blockage and push it through to the main part of the burner.
Check grill hoses for cracking, brittleness, holes, and leaks. Make
sure there are no sharp bends in the hose or tubing.
Move gas hoses as far away as possible from hot surfaces and dripping
hot grease. If you can't move the hoses, install a heat shield to
Replace scratched or nicked connectors, which can eventually leak
Check for gas leaks, following the manufacturer's instructions, if
you smell gas or when you reconnect the grill to the LP gas container.
If you detect a leak, immediately turn off the gas and don't attempt to
light the grill until the leak is fixed.
Keep lighted cigarettes, matches, or open flames away from a leaking
Never use a grill indoors. Use the grill at least 10 feet away from
your house or any building. Do not use the grill in a garage, breezeway,
carport, porch, or under a surface that can catch fire.
Do not attempt to repair the tank valve or the appliance yourself.
See an LP gas dealer or a qualified appliance repair person.
Always follow the manufacturer's instructions that accompany the
Consumers should use caution when storing LP gas containers. Always keep
containers upright. Never store a spare gas container under or near the
grill or indoors. Never store or use flammable liquids, like gasoline, near
To avoid accidents while transporting LP gas containers, consumers should
transport the container in a secure, upright position. Never keep a filled
container in a hot car or car trunk. Heat will cause the gas pressure to
increase, which may open the relief valve and allow gas to escape.
Consumers should use extreme caution and always follow manufacturer's
instructions when connecting or disconnecting LP gas containers.
Grills manufactured after October 1, 1995, are required to have three
additional safety features to eliminate leak hazards: a device to limit the
flow of gas in the event of hose rupture; a mechanism to shut-off the grill;
and a feature to prevent the flow of gas if the connection between the tank
and the grill is not leak proof. Consumers should consider purchasing grills
that have these safety features.
Charcoal produces carbon monoxide (CO) when it is burned. CO is a
colorless, odorless gas that can accumulate to toxic levels in closed
environments. Each year about 30 people die and 100 are injured as a result
of CO fumes from charcoal grills and hibachis used inside.
To reduce these CO poisonings, CPSC is offering the following safety tips:.
Never burn charcoal inside of homes, vehicles, tents, or campers.
Charcoal should never be used indoors, even if ventilation is provided
Since charcoal produces CO fumes until the charcoal is completely
extinguished, do not store the grill indoors with freshly used coals
In April 1996, CPSC voted to revise the label on charcoal packaging to
more explicitly warn consumers of the deadly CO gas that is released when
charcoal is burned in a closed environment. The new label reads,
"WARNING...CARBON MONOXIDE HAZARD...Burning charcoal inside can kill you. It
gives off carbon monoxide, which has no odor. NEVER burn charcoal inside
homes, vehicles or tents." The new label also conveys the written warning
visually with drawings of grills inside a home, tent, and vehicle. The
drawings are enclosed in a circle with an "X" through it. While the new
label requirement will not become mandatory until the end of the year, many
charcoal manufacturers have already started using the new labels on charcoal